|Channel: Reuters: World News
|RSS File: http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/worldNews
|Description: Reuters.com is your source for breaking news, business, financial and investing news, including personal finance and stocks. Reuters is the leading global provider of news, financial information and technology solutions to the world's media, financial institutions, businesses and individuals.
- China summons U.S. ambassador to protest sanctions over Russia military equipment
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 13:12:55 -0400
China's foreign ministry on Saturday summoned the U.S. ambassador in Beijing to protest Washington's decision to sanction a Chinese military agency and its director for purchasing Russian fighter jets and an advanced surface-to-air missile system.
- Two car bombs explode in Somali capital, two injured
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:52:19 -0400
Two car bombs exploded in Somalia's capital Mogadishu on Saturday, injuring two people, an emergency worker and a police officer said.
- Italy PM spokesman threatens vendetta if Treasury fails to find funds for welfare reform
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:38:50 -0400
Italy's prime ministerial spokesman has warned that the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement in the coalition government will sack Treasury officials in a "mega-vendetta" unless they find the resources needed for welfare spending.
- German coalition's future at stake as parties again try to resolve spymaster affair
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:38:10 -0400
The fate of Chancellor Angela Merkel's unwieldy six-month-old government hangs in the balance this weekend as the three coalition parties seek again to resolve their dispute over Germany's scandal-tainted spymaster.
- Iran's Khamenei blames Gulf states for military parade attack
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:31:40 -0400
Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei accused U.S.-backed Gulf Arab states of carrying out an attack on a military parade that killed 25 people, almost half of them members of the country's elite Revolutionary Guards.
- Survivor pulled from capsized Tanzanian ferry as death toll reaches 207
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:24:42 -0400
Divers on Saturday rescued a man from the wreck of an overcrowded Tanzanian ferry that capsized on Lake Victoria on Thursday, killing at least 207 people.
- Major powers, except U.S., try to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:11:07 -0400
Nations that struck the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, except for the United States, meet on Monday in what many diplomats fear may prove a quixotic effort to keep the agreement alive after U.S. sanctions targeting Iranian oil exports resume in November.
- Iran's Khamenei says attack on military parade is linked to U.S. allies
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 11:37:33 -0400
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Saturday that an attack on a military parade in southwestern Iran was linked to the United States' "allies in the region" and ordered security forces to bring the perpetrators to justice.
- Thousands march in Warsaw demanding higher public sector pay
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 11:28:38 -0400
Thousands of protesters marched through the Polish capital on Saturday demanding higher public sector pay, piling pressure on the Law and Justice (PiS) government ahead of a municipal election in October.
- Use lesson of oppression to promote tolerance, Pope urges Lithuania
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 10:44:40 -0400
Pope Francis said at the start of a four-day trip to the Baltics on Saturday that Lithuania should see its painful past under Soviet and Nazi domination as an impetus to promote tolerance in Europe.
- U.S. military says U.S. airstrike kills an estimated 18 Somali militants
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 10:42:34 -0400
U.S. forces acting in self defense called in an airstrike on al Shabaab militants in the southern Somalia province of Lower Juba, killing an estimated 18 Islamist extremists, U.S. Africa Command said on Saturday.
- Russia throws doubt on joint lunar space station with U.S.: RIA
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 10:27:15 -0400
Moscow may abandon a project to build a space station in lunar orbit in partnership with U.S. space agency NASA because it does not want a "second fiddle role," a Russian official said on Saturday.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guards: custodians of clerical rule
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 10:15:28 -0400
Gunmen fired on a military parade in southwestern Iran on Saturday, killing 25 people, almost half of them members of the Revolutionary Guards, state media reported, in one of the worst attacks ever on the elite force.
- Boat carrying Syrian refugees sinks off Lebanon, boy dies
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:50:04 -0400
A boat with 39 Syrian refugees aboard sank off the coast of Lebanon as it sailed illegally for Cyprus on Saturday and most were rescued by the Lebanese army but a five-year-old boy drowned, security sources said.
- Exclusive: Ecuador attempted to give Assange diplomat post in Russia - document
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:34:21 -0400
Ecuador in 2017 gave Wikileaks founder Julian Assange a diplomatic post in Russia but rescinded it after Britain refused to give him diplomatic immunity, according to an Ecuadorean government document seen by Reuters.
- India's Modi faces calls for resignation over French jet deal
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:21:07 -0400
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi faced calls for his resignation over allegations of corruption in a military jet deal with France after former French president Francois Hollande was quoted as saying New Delhi had influenced the choice of a local partner.
- Iran's Rouhani orders security forces to identify parade attackers: ISNA
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:07:09 -0400
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani ordered the country's security forces to identify those reponsible for an attack on Saturday on a military parade, the semi-official ISNA news agency said.
- Vatican, China sign landmark accord on appointing bishops
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:04:01 -0400
The Vatican on Saturday signed a landmark agreement giving it a long-desired say in the appointment of bishops in China, though critics labeled the deal a sellout to the Communist government.
- Russia tells Iran it's ready to boost fight against terrorism after attack: RIA
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 08:28:11 -0400
Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed condolences to Iran's president on Saturday after an attack on an Iranian military parade, saying Moscow was ready to boost joint efforts in the fight against terrorism, RIA news quoted the Kremlin as saying.
- Vatican says Pope recognizes legitimacy of seven Chinese bishops
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 08:06:18 -0400
The Vatican said on Saturday that Pope Francis had recognized the legitimacy of seven state-appointed Chinese bishops as part of a historic provisional agreement with Beijing.